If you suspect fraud on your account, immediately refer to the steps below.
Steps to be taken by you:
- In case of errors or questions about your electronic transfers, call us at 815.434.0044 or write us at The First National Bank of Ottawa*, 701 LaSalle St., Ottawa, IL 61350 as soon as you can if you think your statement or your receipt is wrong or if you need more information about a transfer on the statement or receipt. We must hear from you no later than 60 days after you received the first statement on which the error or problem appeared.
- Tell us your name or account number (if any).
- Describe the error or the transfer you are unsure about and explain as clearly as you can why you believe it is an error or why you need more information.
- Tell us the dollar amount of the suspected error.
- Unauthorized Transfers
- Tell us at once if you believe your card and/or code has been lost or stolen. Calling is the best way of keeping your possible losses down. You could lose all of the money in your account. If you contact us within 2 business days, you can lose no more than $50.00 if someone used your card without your permission.
- If you do no tell us within 2 business days after your learn of the loss or theft of your card and/or code and we can prove that we could have stopped someone from using your card and/or code without your permission if you had told us, you can lose as much as $500.00.
Steps to be taken by the Bank:
- We will investigate your complaint and correct any error promptly, if we take more than 10 business days (5 business days for VISA® Check Card point-of-sale transactions and 20 business days if the transaction involved a new account) to do this, we will credit your account for the amount you think is in error, so that you will have the use of the money during the time it takes us to complete our investigation.
As always, we strongly encourage you to protect yourself further by following these best practices:
- Closely monitor your account activity, either online or by promptly reviewing your monthly statements, to ensure all transaction activity matches your records. If you observe any discrepancies, notify us immediately either online at www.acbandt.com or by calling us at 815.434.0044.
- Review your credit reports for accuracy on an annual basis. You may obtain a free annual copy of your credit report by contacting any of the three credit reporting agencies:
Protections provided under Regulation E – Electronic Funds Transfer Act:
All customers should review their monthly account statement for possible errors involving electronic funds transfers just as you would with any other type of transaction. If you believe that an error has occurred in your account which involves an electronic funds transfer certain steps must be taken by the customer and the Bank. Regulation E is applicable to retail (noncommercial) clients only.